Thursday, February 20, 2014

Can I Kneel on My Knee Replacement?


I had my knee replaced in the fall of 1999, and I can report to you that I have kneeled on my total knee replacement for close to 10 years now without one problem. So the theory that you cannot do this is highly questionable. Many orthopedic surgeons will tell you not to do it for multiple reasons. Some will tell you try and find out. So there is no hard fast rule that you can or cannot, it will depend on you.

I have been kneeling on my knee replacement now without any problem every day at one time or another due to my work. You can kneel on your opposite leg of course but if your knee was replaced on your dominate leg, you will tend to favor going down on that one if you can kneel without difficulty.

There is no time frame on the exact time when it would be safe. I would like to suggest once the incision is completely closed and you have had the surgery 4-8 months and rehab is completed,you may find at that time trying to kneel on it when in the yard. Your knee though may be tender to any sensation for a number of months after surgery so you may favor it for awhile.

If you have your original patella or kneecap left after surgery, in time you may find you can kneel on it. If you have a patellar button that was placed to act as your new kneecap then that will be a different story.Of course you must have good leg strength to get up from that position and balance. Many elderly individuals lack one or the other and in most cases may not have a reason to kneel anyway.

I'm talking to the babyboomers out there who are not ready to pack it in yet as far as outdoor activities are concerned.

So the answer is yes. You can kneel on it without hurting the prosthesis but always before you part ways with your surgeon, check with them just to get their take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment