Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Runner's Knee Pain? Try a Knee Band


During the first few years of running, many new runners have problems with running knee pain. This is commonly called "runner's knee". It is much like tennis elbow in that the tendon of the lower muscle rubs across the joint and becomes irritated.

The pain occurs just below and often to the outside of the knee cap.

In the case of runner's knee, the tendon of the lower quad muscle rubs across the knee joint and becomes inflamed. This rubbing is worsened as the quad muscle fatigues and tightens. This pulls the tendon more tightly across the joint which causes the eventual pain.

When I had problems early in my running career, I would simply have to stop running for several days as the pain subsided. It was a lot like taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back all the time with my training. I was not aware at the time, but much of the running knee pain was caused by doing too much too fast. I was not following a good schedule.

I did discover something that helped tremendously however. I found a special knee band online which worked really well. It greatly extended my distances before the onset of the runners knee pain.

It fits tightly around the knee just below the knee cap. It is not uncomfortable at all and the snugness of it actually feels good. It somehow puts pressure on that tendon and keeps it stretched to a point that alleviates the pain.

Sometimes I would put it on at the start of runs and other times I would carry it with me around my wrist until I felt the first twinges of the knee pain as I was running. The band was almost a miracle in how well it worked.

It allowed me to increase my distances and thus increase the strength in my leg muscles. As those muscles become stronger the runner's knee problems become less severe and less occasional.

As I became stronger and better able to run long distances, the knee pain no longer was an issue.

I do suggest that runners only use the band when it is required. It is best to keep your stride and joints working in the most natural movements. Although the band is comfortable, it no doubt causes slight tweaks to one's stride and style.

Also, although the band works very well, it is not a replacement for poor running shoes. Knee pain, along with other injuries can and will continue if proper running shoes are not worn. New runners can avoid continued knee pain while running (along with other injuries) by wearing correct fitting shoes. Always buy quality running shoes at running stores where the staff are knowledgeable and can properly support individual foot configurations.

No comments:

Post a Comment