Sunday, November 24, 2013

How Much Time Will I Have to Be Off Work For Hip Replacement Surgery?


Recovery after hip replacement surgery involves a slow process of rehabilitation.  Swelling remains a serious issue for most patients.  While each person will recover at a different rate, doctors expect patients to return to work between six and eight weeks for office jobs and three to six months for physically demanding labor.  Return to work should also be phased; three half-days in the first week, two full-days in the second week, five half-days in the third week, and full-time by week four.  

After your hip replacement surgery, you will most likely be in the hospital for three to five days. In some cases, patients will stay for additional days of rehabilitation, but typically discharge takes place within one week. If you are having both hips replaced, called "bilateral" surgery, then it will probably take you longer to recover, both in hospital and during rehabilitation.

The type of work you do will determine the length of time before you can return. Patients return to desk jobs and administrative work the soonest, on average about six weeks after the surgery.  Patients who do extremely well could return as early as one week, but this decision is up to the discretion of you and your doctor. Returning to manual labor is significantly prolonged for obvious reasons. The average return date to a job that requires heavy lifting or excessive activity is three to six months. 

Keep in mind that full recovery for most patients undergoing hip replacement surgery is about six to twelve months. When you can return to work is based on your progress in physical rehabilitation, levels of pain, and overall adjustment, following the operation.

Here is what some people are saying about their post-op recoveries in a popular hip replacement patient forum:

"I am 55 and had a complete hip replacement in early February. I was very active prior to surgery, in spite of the discomfort, and am amazed at how quickly my recovery has progressed. 5 weeks after my surgery I was walking up to 3 miles. 8 weeks after I hiked a 4,000 ft peak. 12 weeks out I'm back to road biking and I've climbed a 6,200 ft peak. At this point, I seemed to have regained most of my strength in the old leg."  

"I'm 10 1/2 weeks out and I have been riding a stationary bike consistently since I have had permission to drive at 6 weeks. I started taking Yoga and Pi-Yo this week and tied my shoes for the first time post-op after a PI-Yo class. Finally ended up taking my first spinning classes in months."  

"Today is exactly 90 days post-op minimally-invasive THR. I'm 54 and my recovery has been going great. I went back to work in 2 months and initially had some pretty strong pain. My job calls for me to be on my feet for 5-7 hrs., but the surgeon told me to get off my feet for 15-20 mins. I had pain, so that's what I did. Within 3 weeks that pain has resolved itself. He told me you can expect pain in the muscles and joint for up to 6 months. He also said if you saw how much abuse is done to the muscles and femur you would understand while it takes a while to heal. Total 100% healing is 18 months."

Rehabilitation therapy can take up to several weeks. During this time, you may assess your performance and determine whether you are ready to return to work. It is generally advised by doctors that active sports are delayed until after a full recovery. In the first four weeks, you will most likely be using a walker. In addition, a knee immobilizer is intended to be used at night or when sleeping in order to prevent the hip from dislocating. Most doctors ask that the immobilizer be used for six weeks following the surgery. 

Recovery time differs dramatically from patient to patient, and the examples given in this article are only meant as rough estimates.  Make sure you speak to your doctor about any concerns you may have regarding rehabilitation and recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment