Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Running After Knee Replacement


Any doctor will tell you it's not recommended to run after a knee replacement, because one piece is metal and the other piece is non-metal. Wear will come at some point depending on how much you run. Perhaps take up another type of exercise program. Running is considered a high impact sport. You can walk just about all you want to replace running. However, it will take double distance of walking to burn up the same amount of calories of the distance you ran.

Not many runners want to walk because, that's one reason they run. Walking is time consuming. Some people have plenty of time to kill. I don't! Any sport that has a lot of side to side movement like tennis is a no-no! If you were a full blown runner most likely you'll return to running at some point. It took me two years before I could up grade from a walk to a run. Then another year before I could run a full mile. Mainly because the idea was put in my head to not do it!

It's really a personal choice of what it all boils down to. A 136 pound 10% body fat is where I was before the knee replacement. Afterwards, I gained a whopping 40 pounds! A 176 pounds on a 5' 7" guy is not good for your health! That alone was enough reason for me to start running again. I'm still not 136, but I'm a lean 145. I'm happy with that for someone not racing anymore. I'm not saying I'll never race again, I'm just not right now.

These days two miles every other day, then alternate that week with two miles every day. The following week go back to two miles every other day. Of course I walk a whole lot more than I use to. My walking is no piddling around! A good walk pace is one mile every fifteen minutes. In other words four miles in an hour. I've read of some world-class master and senior runners alternating running with walking is their new way of training. If you email me, I'll dig up that information for you.

Running or whatever activity you choose to do after knee replacement is a real personal choice type thing. Only you, will know that for sure. I've read about some runners returning to racing, but that's them. I personally don't want to take a chance of messing up my $50,000 knee. I was told if you do wear out the plastic piece, it's not that a big of a deal surgery, like the initial knee replacement surgery.

If running is a weight thing for you, then here's another idea. If your having a weight problem, a lot of that is due to what you eat! If you're a vegetarian then just go ahead full boat to being on a raw food diet. This is a diet good for your health anyway, regardless if your over weight or not. Less weight on your artificial knee is a good thing. Less weight on your whole body is a good thing! Live longer and with a healthier lifestyle wither you have an artificial knee or not! All this is my personal experience. Check with your doctor and attorney before you do anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment