Thursday, April 11, 2013

Boomer's Knee Pain


One day I woke up trying to get out of the bed in the early morning, I got a sharp stabbing pain at the right knee as I walked just steps away from my bed. The pain is crippling painful that I could hardly walk further to the washroom in the ensuite. It was the first pain attack I ever experienced. What is the cause for this acute knee pain? I tried to recall my memories figuring out what would be the possible cause. The only thing I can associated the knee pain with was the anger outburst which led to restlessness during the day and the sleepless night that followed through.

I check it out that anger outburst which is an extremely emotional disturbance of the mind can lead the abnormally large of amount of bio-active substances into the blood vessels of our own body. This sudden released of large of amount bio-stimulant substances can be very harmful to the body tissues and organs, even fatal irreversible organ damages. For this very reason, there are incidences of heart attack, stroke and even death following an anger outburst.

I went to see my family doctor for his medical advice and prescription. I told him briefly about my anger incident and knee pain. Then he told me the following treatment options for my knee pain:

Over-the-counter and prescription medications

This would include Tylenol and Aspirin, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen. They can reduce inflammation as well as knee joint pain.

Natural supplements

They are chondroitin and glucosamine the most popular alternatives in recent years. They have less side effects. The former aids in building joint cartilage, while the latter fights against degeneration of cartilage. Studies have proven their effectiveness in alleviating osteoarthritic joint pain,

Physical aids

Padding, crutches, and splints, and even simple rest can take the pressure off the knee and provide temporary relief while the joint recovers from injury.

Specific exercises

Simple stretching and low-impact aerobic activities such as walking and swimming increase joint strength and flexibility.

Now, my knee pain is almost gone. I still keep on taking chondroitin and glucosamine and low-impact exercise. The most important of all, I always remind myself don't get angry for the good of our own body.

No comments:

Post a Comment